The Nintendo Switch has had an outstanding start to life since it launched in 2017, it going on to hit brilliant exclusive after brilliant exclusive out of the park, reminding everyone that Nintendo still had it after the failure of the Wii U. With the console now entering its third year, it’s time to look forward to the new Switch games of 2020.
As this is Nintendo we’re talking about, expect this release date guide to constantly be evolving and changing. They’ve been no strangers to announcing new games with regularity, especially during their Directs. It will also be interesting to see if the release of the Switch Lite makes Nintendo re-think what kind of games they release, whether the limitations of the Lite will hamper some games.
With there being plenty to look forward to over the coming year, including long-awaited sequels and yet more Nintendo magic, here are the biggest new Switch games of 2020 for you to look forward to. We won’t be adding third-party ports of quite old games, but will allow stuff that’s coming over from the Wii U and 3DS.
Switch Games 2020 Release Dates
The below is in chronological order; be sure to use the search function to find the right game.
2020 is shaping to be a very interesting year for the Switch at this time of writing, purely because there aren’t that many first-party titles announced. That’s bound to change, however, especially if 2019 is anything to go by.
– The obvious standout Switch game has to be Animal Crossing: New Horizons, which makes capitalism tropical. As well as trying to keep the tyrant that is Tom Nook happy, the new Animal Crossing will allow you to play with up to eight people, meaning that more players than ever can escape real life with a serene time featuring fishing and gift-giving. Can’t come soon enough.
– RPG fans will likely be salivating at the prospect of Trials of Mana in April, a remake of the previously Japan-only third game in the franchise. It’s been rebuilt from the ground up while still maintaining the classic JRPG experience.
– No More Heroes 3 is progressing nicely with the game returning its roots with a more open environment as Travis Touchdown wreaks havoc once again. The series has never been a big unit shifter, but those who love it really love it. Here’s hoping it’s a little better than the so-so spin-off from 2019.
– Might the big gap in the Switch release date be filled by Bayonetta 3 in 2020? We’ve seen exceedingly little of it since its reveal, and PlatinumGames are very hard at work on multiple projects. Based on how good Astral Chain turned out, we’re pretty confident in this one.
– Deadly Premonition 2 is happening. Whether you liked the original or not, it’s a marvel that it’s really happening.
– There are a few indie games that will feel right at home on the Switch. Streets of Rage 4 is going to be irresistible on the go, and Spiritfarer and Haven look set to charm with both developers previously releasing beloved cult titles.
What are you most looking forward to playing on your Switch in 2020?