Long gone are the days when you had to rely on a TV to play video games, or even just console games. As long as you have an Xbox and a stable internet connection, you can effectively turn your smartphone into a screen.
If you want to stop being tied to your TV when it comes to your Xbox One or Series X & S, we’ll teach you step-by-step how to play Xbox games on your phone via remote play streaming.
Requirements For Xbox Remote Play
Before we dive into the tutorial, here are some requirements to use Xbox remote play:
- Xbox One or Series X & S
- Phone with iOS 10+ or Android 6.0+
- Xbox wireless controller with bluetooth
- At least 10 Mbps internet connection
A solid internet connection is especially important to try and reduce lag and make playing Xbox games on your phone as smooth as possible.
How To Play Xbox Games On Your Phone
Here are the steps to stream Xbox titles on your phone through remote play:
- Power on your Xbox console and go to Settings > Devices and Connections > Remote Features and turn on the ‘Enable remote features’ option.
- Turn on your Xbox controller and hold the connect button until the logo starts blinking quickly.
- Open your phone’s bluetooth settings and tap on ‘Xbox Wireless Controller’ under new devices to pair it.
- Download and open the Xbox app on your iPhone or Android device.
- Login to your Microsoft account and ensure that both devices are connected to the same internet.
- Tap on the ‘remote play’ button in the top right corner and select ‘Remote play on this device’ to start streaming.
- Start playing games on your smartphone via the Xbox controller.
How To Use Xbox Cloud Gaming On Your Phone
Ever since Microsoft launched Xbox Cloud Gaming (formerly known as XCloud), it became possible to play Xbox titles even if you didn’t have a console.
The requirements are the same, except that you need to purchase the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription to play games on cloud. Game Pass Ultimate costs $14.99/£10.99 a month.
Here are the steps to play via Xbox Cloud Gaming if you’re on your phone on Android and iPhone:
- Download the Game Pass app on your phone.
- Connect your Xbox controller or any other bluetooth-enabled controller to your phone.
- Open the app and sign in to your Microsoft account.
- Switch to the ‘Cloud’ tab on the home screen.
- Tap on your favorite title and click on the green ‘Play’ button to start streaming.
- Open Safari and go to xbox.com/play.
- Connect a bluetooth-enabled controller to your iPhone in settings.
- Sign in to your Microsoft account. To create a shortcut for Xbox Cloud, tap on the ‘Share’ button and click on ‘Add to Homescreen’.
- Select your favorite game and select ‘Play’ to begin streaming.
Tips For Playing Xbox Games On Phone
Xbox Remote Play and Cloud Gaming are outstanding options for all gamers. Here are a few tips that can make your gaming experience even better:
- Invest in a high-quality phone clip for your Xbox controller. The Razer Kishi is especially designed for just that.
- Use a 4G or 5G data connection to avoid lag if you have slow internet, but bear in mind data caps.
- Try using an Elite, DualSense or Nintendo Switch Pro controller. While many games have touch screen capabilities, it just isn’t as seamless as using a controller.
Be sure to check out all the Xbox games that can be streamed to your phone.
READ NEXT: How To Emulate PS2 Games on PC
Some of the coverage you find on Cultured Vultures contains affiliate links, which provide us with small commissions based on purchases made from visiting our site. We cover gaming news, movie reviews, wrestling and much more.