As a CD Projekt Red game, it came as no surprise when Cyberpunk 2077 originally released with multiple endings, most of them immensely depressing. With the release of Phantom Liberty, the sole expansion for Cyberpunk that looks like completing the game’s redemeption arc, players are getting the chance to get a brand new ending for V, though there are a few steps that you have to go through to get the new Phantom Liberty ending.
There are multiple different paths that players can take to unlock different versions of the new ending in Phantom Liberty with small choices that may impact the overall picture. For that reason, we will just give you the broad strokes of how to unlock the new ending in Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty from our own experiences.
Spoilers ahead for Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty.
To cut a long answer short, you unlock the new ending in Phantom Liberty by siding with Reed over So Mi in the DLC’s later missions. At least, that’s how we unlocked it in Phantom Liberty; you may be able to take slightly different paths to unlock the ending. Here’s a rundown of the steps we took:
– In the mission Firestarter, help So Mi to escape the stadium and betray Reed. So Mi will become gravely weakened when overloading the AI, so you will have to escort her to safety as you battle your way through the stadium. She will get in a car and call you after a few days.
– Later, So Mi eventually calls after about three days of waiting still in a very weakened state and you will be able to start the Killing Moon mission. In it, you will travel to the NCX and attempt to make a getaway to some scientists/netrunners who can help you both to escape death by rewiring AI on the neural matrix.
After leading her through the airport while facing NUS forces commanded by Reed and President Myers, So Mi will use you as proxy to unleash the Blackwall on those forces, rendering her on the verge of death. As you take a tram ride to the transport you need to escape, So Mi will confess that she has been lying and the cure will only work on one of you, specifically her.
At this juncture, you can decide to help So Mi or hand her over to Reed, which is Johnny’s suggestion, and negotiate getting the cure extracted from So Mi and for V to get the surgery instead. Reed will accept and take a very unwell So Mi from you, then tell you to expect a call in the future.
– After days of waiting, Reed calls V and asks to meet briefly where he informs V that the procedure will mean Johnny will be completely wiped. He then says he will call again after another day has passed. A day later, Reed calls and you ask to be met atop Misty’s Esoterica, at which point you can continue or or choose to walk away and complete another ending after a conversation with Johnny. You can also text a couple of your friends (optional, but it doesn’t seem to change much) before you are picked up and taken to Langley to be cured.
But not before you have one last chat with Johnny on the way, who will react very differently based on your relationship over the course of the game. For us, he was upset that we weren’t more torn up about effectively killing him, but recognised that we would have been chooms had things gone differently. As the doctor administers some drugs, Johnny fades away as he looks out over Night City one final time.
– Following a long coma and a successful surgery, the Things Done Changed mission will begin after V awakes and finds out from Reed that it’s 2079 — they’ve been asleep for two years. Reed will also inform V that they can no longer use the majority of their implants and will likely be weak for the rest of their life, but they will live after all. Reed departs after offering V a job, as they can no longer lead the life they used to.
After you make some phone calls with friends, with none of them going that well, V returns to Night City to meet with Vik, who informs V that Misty has left the area. After analysis, Vik confirms that there’s nothing they can do to return V’s implants and the two depart. While leaving to get back in the cab, V is jumped by a couple of street rats and blacks out. Upon waking, V encounters Misty with a new look (and Jackie’s jacket) who tells V that they’re moving to a Polish forest. The pair embrace as Misty gets into a cab, leaving V to disappear into the crowd in Night City before the credits roll.
– In the credits, you may experience various holo-calls with people you’ve met along the way in Night City, but it depends on many different factors, such as how close you were with them, what paths you took, and whether they’re even alive still. We were in a relationship with Panam, for instance, and after not taking any of our calls, Mitch called to tell us that she didn’t want to hear from us after we disappeared for two years. Pretty harsh!
Bear in mind that these are more or less the exact steps we took to unlock the new ending in Phantom Liberty. You may be able to unlock it by siding with Reed from the beginning but considering each endgame of Phantom Liberty’s expansive DLC takes several hours to reach after the Firestarter mission, we’ve found that hard to verify.
Some of the coverage you find on Cultured Vultures contains affiliate links, which provide us with small commissions based on purchases made from visiting our site. We cover gaming news, movie reviews, wrestling and much more.
Gamezeen is a Zeen theme demo site. Zeen is a next generation WordPress theme. It’s powerful, beautifully designed and comes with everything you need to engage your visitors and increase conversions.