Nintendo Switch Online is an affordable and feature-packed online gaming subscription for your Switch. Like similar subscriptions on other major consoles, it’s true that the service is required to take your multiplayer games to the online arena. However, Nintendo has also included a variety of additional goodies for subscribers that help make the monthly or yearly cost of the service well worth it.
As wonderful of a service as it may be, though, you may be looking to unsubscribe for any number of reasons. Perhaps it’s not within your current budget, or maybe you’re simply not using the features enough to warrant keeping your subscription. Regardless of why you’re ready to cancel Nintendo Switch Online, we’ll take a quick look at what the service offers and then walk you through how to cancel it.
How Do I Cancel Nintendo Switch Online?
If you’re not getting the benefits you were hoping for with your Nintendo Switch Online subscription, canceling the service is a fairly easy process. Let’s walk you through it below:
How to Cancel Nintendo Switch Online via the Nintendo Switch eShop
– Turn on your Nintendo Switch and launch the Nintendo eShop.
– Click on your small, round user icon in the upper right corner of the eShop screen.
– Scroll down until you see Nintendo Switch Online.
– Select Turn Off Automatic Renewal.
– A window will open with information about your current subscription. Select Turn Off. This will stop your card from being charged for any future service until you turn it back on. You will continue to have access to any prepaid service until it expires.
How to Cancel Nintendo Switch Online via an Internet Browser
– Go to the official Nintendo website and log in to the Nintendo account with the active subscription you’re looking to cancel.
– After you’ve logged in, click on your small, round user icon in the upper right corner of the page.
– A new section will open up with a lot of options. Click Settings.
– You’ll now be on a User Info screen. Click on “Shop Menu” on the left side of the screen.
– From here, scroll down and click Your Subscriptions.
– A new window will open. Click Check Nintendo Switch Online membership status.
– Here, you’ll see everything you need to know about your current subscription. To cancel it, click Turn Off Automatic Renewal. This will stop your card from being charged for any future service until you turn it back on. You will continue to have access to any prepaid service until it expires.
Cancelling is the same for both the basic NSO service and also Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack.
Nintendo Switch Online Prices & Differences Explained
Nintendo Switch Online allows you to play multiplayer games online while also providing a wide selection of classic NES and SNES games for $19.99/£17.99 per year. You’ll find some of the company’s earliest console megahits available to play right out of the gate, making this a cheap and easy alternative to breaking out ancient hardware.
Meanwhile, Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack is $49.99/£34.99 per year and grants you all of the base subscription’s features alongside some Nintendo 64 and SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive titles. The higher tier also offers access to the Animal Crossing: New Horizons Happy Home Paradise expansion for dedicated fans of the popular social simulation game.
Nintendo Switch Online is a much more reasonably-priced option compared to services like PlayStation Plus or Xbox Live, and with the addition of so many beloved retro titles, it’s a truly excellent deal.
Affordable pricing and old-school classics aside, there are some downsides to Nintendo Switch Online, of course. Most notably, there is no voice chat option built into the console, meaning players will have to go through a cumbersome setup on their mobile device to engage in some rather limited voice chat. This makes for some frustrating socialization that may be a major turnoff for gamers hoping to relax online with friends.
Some of the coverage you find on Cultured Vultures contains affiliate links, which provide us with small commissions based on purchases made from visiting our site. We cover gaming news, movie reviews, wrestling and much more.
Gamezeen is a Zeen theme demo site. Zeen is a next generation WordPress theme. It’s powerful, beautifully designed and comes with everything you need to engage your visitors and increase conversions.