Death Stranding Release Date, Trailers And Latest News
Oil babes, Norman Reedus junk, and everything we know about Death Stranding so far, including a possible release date.
Only Hideo Kojima could have a naked Norman Reedus holding a vanishing baby and still be called a genius. Without the shackles of Konami to hold him back, Death Stranding promises to be of the barmiest, most original games in this current generation.
Information has been scant since its reveal, presumably leading up to gameplay footage being unveiled at a big expo at some point in the near future. E3 2017 seems unlikely considering the E3 2016 trailer was the first thing made for the game, so perhaps PSX 2017 will show more.
Here’s everything we know so far.
What is Death Stranding’s release date?
There is no confirmed release date for Death Stranding. Hideo Kojima has constantly reiterated that it will be released in the PS4’s lifespan, so anytime before 2019 is a good guess.
Where can I play Death Stranding?
Andrew House and Kojima revealed that Death Stranding would be coming exclusively to PS4. If you pause the video, you can see the fire behind House’s eyes as he tells Major Nelson to suck it.
What genre does Death Stranding belong to?
Hell knows at this point. Kojima himself said that it is action-adventure, though it’s hard to know exactly that will pan out for a game where Kojima wants to subvert expectations of violence.
What we do know is that it likely won’t be a cookie cutter open-world title, instead focusing on a different approach with an eye for a mind-bending narrative. There will be also be some online elements.
Kojima promises that it won’t be like anything we’ve seen before, but bear in mind that he said there was a good reason for Quiet to not wear clothes in Metal Gear Solid V, too.
Death Stranding Synopsis
Nothing officially available at this point, so let’s just pull a quote from the man himself:
“What people are playing today in open-world action games, or linear action games, it will compare naturally to them. It will feel familiar. But after an hour or two of playing, you will start to feel something different, something new that you haven’t played. The story is about connections, what you call ‘strands’ in psychology – how people are connected.”
Death Stranding Rumours
The internet has already done a deep dive into everything they can on Death Stranding from its two trailers so far. However, very telling plot points were revealed by a 4chan poster, who was allegedly part of del Toro’s team. Spoilers possibly ahead, but this could be all bullshit.
– Kojima is “hellbent” on getting Ryan Gosling involved. Idris Elba has also been tapped for a part.
– The story will be revealed by the “community”, much in the same way they had to work together to disarm nukes in The Phantom Pain.
– “Ludens” will be the main antagonists, godlike beings similar to Shadow of the Colossus. Mads Mikkelsen’s character is reportedly one of them.
– It will be in third-person.
– Reedus’ name is Adam, which may be a codename. He supposedly wakes from an accident and the disappearing baby is his son.
Death Stranding Quick Facts
– Norman Reedus, Mads Mikkelsen, and Guillermo del Toro will all have important parts.
– If you sync up the two released trailers, they appear to show Norman’s baby disappearing into del Toro’s tube thing. Creepy stuff.
– The game will run on the Decima Engine, previously seen in Horizon: Zero Dawn.
– Slightly related, but Horizon also had a couple of DS easter eggs.
– The project is funded by Sony.
– There will be a female protagonist.
– After the second trailer was revealed, Kojima Productions shared an alternate version with a different song from Low Roar. He asked fans to “pay attention to the lyrics“.
– Stefanie Joosten, who played Quiet in TPP, will reportedly work with Kojima again.
– The TGS trailer has many audio cues to P.T. (RIP)
Are we excited for Death Stranding?
We don’t know what it is, but we know that we want it. Even if it isn’t a masterpiece, Kojima is incapable of making a terrible game, so if nothing else, it will be interesting. How he ties all this mystery into something coherent is going to be worth keeping an eye out for.
Also, will Reedus’ penis just be like totally out? Does he get clothes? Or a leaf?